On a sunny but breezy Sunday afternoon, a couple of dozen brave souls ventured out to explore the connections across the Charles between North Station and the Charlestown Navy Yard. The occassion was a Boston By Foot tour for the Boston By Foot Meetup Group called Bells, Bridges, & Locks. If you feel bad about missing this tour, fear not as it will be offered again on July 1st & July 3rd during Harborfest. For more in-depth exploration of this area, you will also want to take the Tour of the Month called Exploring the Charles River Basin on July 26 (yours truly will be one of the guides). Save money on all these great tours and more by becoming a Boston By Foot Member.
Until the summer comes, check out my online album of photos from the tour.
Highlights of the tour:
- The Zakim Bridge from below.
- Crossing the Gridley Locks on the Charles River Dam.
- Discovering how a fish-ladder works.
- Learning that two of Boston’s bridges fought one another all the way to the Supreme Court.
- Saying the words “bascule bridge.”