The project continues with my favorite songs of 2012. Read the first post for the detail on this project.
I originally covered 2012 with a Year in Review post.
Bright Whites – Kishi Bashi
Caliban’s Dream – Underworld
Cartao Postal – Souljazz Orchestra
Default – Django Django
Dirty Money – Antibalas
Goatman – Goat
Hold on When You Get Love and Let Go When You Give It – Stars
Look at This – A Tribe Called Red
Oblivion – Grimes
Same Love – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis featuring Mary Lambert
And here are five songs from 2012 worthy of an honorable mention:
Akale Wube - Debo Band
Dog Physics – Plaid Dragon
Gun Has No Trigger – Dirty Projectors
Here Again – Quantic and Alice Russell
Please Forgive My Heart - Bobby Womack
And there you have 40 years music and over 400 songs that helped define my life!
Stay tuned for the best songs of 2013.
Here’s my annual list of my ten favorite books read in the year. As always, this is merely the best books I read this year not books published in 2012 (books published this year are bolded in the complete list below). For previous years see 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007 and 2006. You may also want to check out My Favorite Books of All Time or see Every Book I’ve Ever Read cataloged in Library Thing.
In no particular order:
And now the complete list. Not a great year for reading as I didn’t maintain much focus on reading and less so on reviewing books.
Books Read in 2012
- The Sandman. [Volume 3], Dream Country by Nei Gaiman
- The Sandman. [Volume 4], Season of Mists by Neil Gaiman
- The Woman Who Died A Lot by Jasper Fforde
- Spook by Mary Roach (A)
- The Walking Dead 3 by Robert Kirkman
- The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde
- Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat by Hal Herzog (A)
- The Song of the Quarkbeast by Jasper Fforde
- The Walking Dead 4 by Robert Kirkman
- The Sandman. [Volume 5], A Game of You by Neil Gaiman
- The Polish Boxer by Eduardo Halfon
- Sailor Twain, or The Mermaid in the Hudson by Mark Siegel
- The Walking Dead 5 by Robert Kirkman
- The Walking Dead 6 by Robert Kirkman
- Sherlock Holmes and the Ice Palace Murders by Larry Millet
- Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan (A)
- The Walking Dead. Volume 15, We find ourselves by Robert Kirkman
- The Walking Dead. Volume 16, A Larger World by Robert Kirkman
- The Magic Maker by Susan Cooper (A)
- The Walking Dead. Volume 17: Something to Fear by Robert Kirkman
- The Thoreau You Don’t Know by Robert Sullivan
- The Submission by Amy Waldman
It’s time again to review the year just passed starting with ten or so favorite songs I loved. For previous years check out my lists for 2011, 2010 and 2009.
Top 10 (in the random order they came up on my iPod):
- Same Love by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis featuring Mary Lambert
- Caliban’s Dream by Underworld
- Please Forgive My Heart by Bobby Womack
- Gun Has No Trigger by Dirty Projectors
- Bright Whites by Kishi Bashi
- Cartao Postal by Souljazz Orchestra
- Here Again by Quantic and Alice Russell
- Hold on When You Get Love and Let Go When You Give It by Stars
- Andrew in Drag by Magnetic Fields
- Secret Days by School of Seven Bells
So what were your favorite songs of 2012? What are you looking forward to in 2013?
I’m introducing a new feature to the Panorama of the Mountains blog, a “song of the week” post. I’m going to try to highlight one current song a week that I like and want to share with others. My hope having recently turned 39 is to keep up with current music trends rather than lolling about in nostalgia.
The debut song for this feature is “Hold On When You Get Love And Let Go When You Give It” by the band Stars.
I like the epic 80s-style synthpop vibe and the female vocalist who sings toward the end is reminiscent of Kate Bush.
This of course brings up the problem of liking new music only because it sounds like old music. It seems that much of the current music I like is reminiscent of 80s era punk and New Wave or 60s/70 soul in some revival or another. If you’re reading this and know of music that is truly unique and representative of the 2012, let me know in the comments.