While riding my bike the other day it occured to me that certain things happen in my daily treks to-and-fro work that just seem inevitable. I thought it would be fun and perhaps cathartic to make a list.
- Just as I approach the intersection, the light turns red.
- The road will be clear until I want to make a left and then suddenly will be clogged with traffic.
- When waiting for a line of ten cars to pass so I can make a left turn, the driver of car #10 will stop to let me go.
- When a city bus is stopped in my lane and I try to pass it it will inevitably pull out when I’m right next to it. If I wait for the bus, however, it will sit at the stop for a long time
- If I think I can outrace the coming storm, I’ll get caught in a downpour a quarter of a mile from work.
- Taxis will double park in the bike lane
- Pedestrians who would never step in front of a moving car have no problem jaywalking right in front of me.
- People say I’m crazy for riding in the cold.
- People say I’m crazy for riding in Boston.
- I’ll come up with a brilliant idea while riding but won’t be able to remember it when I can actually write it down.
A lot of these are grumpy and negative so here’s a positive one:
- When I’m feeling that I just don’t want to get on that bike but force myself to do so I end up having an exhilirating ride that lifts my mood.