Today is the 199th anniversary of the birth of Abraham Lincoln, America’s greatest President and one of the great leaders of all time. Coincidentally, that is also the exact same birth date of Charles Darwin. Can you imagine any two more influential figures of the 19th-century?
This is one of my favorite days of the year and one that Susan and I make a special effort to commemorate. This year we read The Abraham Lincoln Joke Book to our son to initiate him into the joys of Lincoln Day.
Here are some Link-olns for the day.
- The Abraham Lincoln Blog
- The Abraham Lincoln Observer
- White House biography
- Speeches and writings at Open Directory Project
- Mr. Lincoln’s Virtual Library (LOC American Memory)
Other people commemorating the day:
- Happy Birthday Mr. Lincoln
- Lincoln’s love for the law By Helen Schary Motro
- Mallard Fillmore’s Bathtub compares the orating skills of Barbara Jordan to Lincoln.
- If George Bush Gave the Equivalent of Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address by Dan Smith
I also have started a tradition of reading a book about Lincoln each year starting on his birthday. This year I’ve selected The Radical and the Republican by James Oakes. Previous selections:
Previously: Abraham Lincoln Day 2007