I often find myself idly surfing the net and making discoveries of something from my past. Recently, I became reacquainted with Old Macdonald’s Farm, a place in Norwalk, CT that I loved to visit when I was very young. Before being closed and replaced by a corporate office park, Old Macdonald’s Farm had:
- an old-fashioned country-style restaurant that looked like it was in a barn with the booths decorated as stables (complete with the names of horses on plaques over the booths)
- a candy store with lots of different types of penny-candy including every imaginable flavor of candy sticks.
- a petting zoo with goats, sheep, cows and other farm animals.
- a small amusement park with a train ride and other rides that appealed to small children
When it closed, I was heart-broken, especially since a covered wooden bridge was preserved to connect the very modern office park to its parking lot. My younger self cursed the corporate suits who destroyed this little bit of Americana every time I passed and saw that bridge. Okay, maybe not, but it was some similar emotion.
There’s not about Old Macdonald’s Farm on the web, but I found a couple of photos. I was awestruck by how the photos look just as I remember. The first picture is of the restaurant from a website called Cardcow which collects old postcards.
The next picture is from a photo blog called Serendipitous by a woman named Kathy Chiapetta. The photos appear to be scanned from a 2005 Darien Times article which is not available online. The one thing I don’t see in any of the photos is a big waterwheel that impressed me as a child.
Thanks for indulging me. If you have memories and pictures of Old Macdonald’s Farm please let me know.
Previous Trips Down Memory Lane:
- Out Like A Lamb – Mar. 22, 2007
- 10 Things That Freaked Me Out As A Child – Aug. 27, 2007
- Commercials of My Youth – April 5, 2008
- Songs That Remind Me of the 70’s – June 28, 2008
- 1908 Night – Aug. 22, 2008