Today’s Christian Science Monitor lists the Ten Best Books About Ireland for St. Patrick’s Day. I’ve read three of these (Ulysses, How the Irish Saved Civilization, and The Commitments) and am very intrigued by The Last of the Donkey Pilgrims which I’ve never heard of before. Here’s my own top ten list of my favorite books by Irish authors and/or dealing with Irish topics (in no particular order).
- Seeing Things by Seamus Heaney
- Round Ireland With a Fridge by Tony Hawks
- A Star Called Henry by Roddy Doyle
- The Trouble With the Irish by Leonard Wibberley
- Breakfast on Pluto by Patrick McCabe
- Ulysses by James Joyce
- Irish America: Coming Into Clover by Maureen Dezell
- How the Irish Became White by Noel Ignatiev
- Every Inch of Her by Peter Sheridan
- Sweet Liberty by Joseph O’Connor
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!