After helping a friend move from Waltham to Arlington yesterday, it occurred to me that there are certain things that happen every time somebody moves around here.
- The person moving provides a Box O’ Joe and Munchkins for the people helping out.
- The weather will be hot and humid (don’t try to outsmart this rule by trying to move in the winter as you will encounter ice and snow instead).
- At one point a large piece of furniture will end up stuck in a doorway or stairwell. Neither brilliant logistical analysis nor brute force will make the furniture budge.
- The furniture will eventually become unstuck by someone trying a mind-numbingly simple movement on a whim.
- One of the helpers will have incredible spatial relations skills the s/he will use to pack boxes into the “Mom’s attic” of the moving van like a game of Tetris.
- Someone will get hurt
- Unloading will go ten times faster than loading.
- When the truck is unloaded the person moving will provide pizza and beer.