I discovered a book reading challenge via Gypsy Librarian about reading 12 books from one’s own collection within the next twelve months. Since I almost always read books from the library and procrastinate reading the books I own (no deadline, I suppose), I figured this would be worth trying.
Here are the rules:
- Pick 12 titles from your To Read Pile. These should be titles you currently own in whatever format you prefer.
- Acquisition of other formats or translations is permitted. So, if you have a paperback but want to read on your Kindle, you can get a Kindle copy. If you have a library copy but want to buy your own, that’s kosher. Heck, if you own a copy and want to check another out from the library, I’m not gonna stop you.
- Post your list in your public space of choice by September 1, 2010. If you prefer not to post, you can just leave a comment with your list.
- Read all 12 titles between now and September 5, 2011. Might as well tack on an extra long weekend at the end for cramming.
- When you finish a title on your list, post about it in your public space of choice. If you prefer not to post, you can just leave a comment with your review.
- Once a month, I’ll post a round-up of the reviews posted from that month so that we all know what everyone else has read.
I missed the deadline, but I think I can still swing it.
Here is my list:
- Mapping Boston by Alex Krieger
- The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley
- Where Good Ideas Come From by Steven Johnson
- Freddy the Pilot by Walter R. Brooks
- Zen and the Birds of Appetite by Thomas Merton
- The Fifties by David Halberstam
- Catwatching by Desmond Morris
- Truman by David McCullough
- Light in August by William Faulkner
- It Happened in Boston by Russell H. Greenan
- The Name Above the Title by Frank Capra
- Good Wives, Nasty Wenches, & Anxious Patriarchs by Kathleen M. Brown