A slow week for me. Lots of things to do and choppy streams that cut out mid-game.
Arsenal 2:1 Barcelona (16 February)
The Champions League match started off looking like it was just going to be Barcelona being awesome again with Lionel Messi feeding David Villa for a goal in the first half. But then Arsenal made a very impressive comeback late in the game with a narrow-angle shot by Robin Van Persie and then the winner by Andrei Arshavin. A great win for Arsenal – their first ever versus Barcelona – but I think Barcelona will win by a comfortable margin in their home leg.
Anderlecht 0:3 Ajax (17 February)
The Europa League is not as exciting as the Champions League but it did set up this match between historic clubs from the capitals of the lowland nations. When last I saw Anderlecht they were failing to qualify for the Champions League in embarrassing fashion. Ajax qualified for the Champions League but their third place finish in group play demoted them to the Europa League. The game was a bit of a laugher with everything going Ajax’s way. Belgian Toby Alderweireld put Ajax up 0-1 with a header in the first half and then set up the second goal with a pass to Christian Eriksen in the second half. After Anderlecht missed a penalty kick (something they’re apparently not too good at) Mounir El Hamdaoui finished things of with a third goal for Ajax.
Chelsea 1:1 Everton (a.e.t, 3:4 pk) (19 February)
The FA Cup replay at Stamford Bridge looked very grim when Frank Lampard put Chelsea up 1-0 in the 103rd minute. But then Leighton Baines miraculously tied it up in the 118th minute and it would be decided by penalty kicks. Baines had his kick blocked by Petr Cech (déjà vu?) and then Tim Howard made a great save on the shot by Nicholas Anelka, but the game would be decided by Ashley Cole skying his kick over the goal. I’m not a big fan of games decided by penalty kicks, but dang if this wasn’t exciting. And more important, Everton advances to the next round of the FA Cup.
FC Barcelona 2:1 Athletic Club Bilbao (20 February)
Barcelona recovered from their Champions League loss with yet another win in La Liga. Not their best match of the season but their was some Messi magic with fancy footwork and the winning goal.
- Boston Breakers (18 July)
- Football at Fenway (22 July)
- Forming an Association with Football (8 Aug)
- This Week In Soccer (15 Aug)
- Soccer Week in Review (20 Aug)
- Soccer in Excess (25 Aug)
- Soccer Week (3 Sep)
- Slow Soccer Week (10 Sep)
- Soccer Weekend (13 Sep)
- Fútbol & Voetbal (20 Sep)
- Soccer Heartbreak and Gut Punches (27 Sep)
- Sister City’s Soccer (4 Oct)
- International Draws (13 Oct)
- Footy Report (18 Oct)
- End of Summer Soccer (27 Oct)
- Soccer Update (8 Nov)
- Socceraholic (15 Nov)
- Thankful for Soccer (29 Nov)
- 30 Day Football (Soccer) Challenge (13 Dec)
- The World of Soccer (20 Dec)
- Soccer Holiday (3 Jan)
- Soccer Spectating Report 2-9 January (10 Jan)
- Soccer Spectating Report 10-23 January (24 Jan)
- Soccer Spectating Report 24-31 January (1 Feb)
- Soccer Spectating Report 1-14 February (14 Feb)