It’s once again time to get back in the saddle for one of my favorite events of the year, the Bikes Not Bombs Bike-A-Thon.
Bikes Not Bombs is a social justice organization based in Jamaica Plain, MA not far from where I live. Their goal is to use the bicycle as a vehicle for social change. The accomplish this mission by:
- collecting and renovating bicycles to ship to developing communities in Central America, the Caribbean and Africa. These bicycles help people meet crucial transportation needs with an easily maintained and environmentally friendly vehicle.
- help Boston youth develop confidence and leadership skills through programs focusing on urban bicycle riding and bicycle repair.
I routinely get my bike repaired and by bicycle supplies at the Bikes Not Bombs shop in Jamaica Plain, and I’m always impressed by the positive impact they have in the community. Especially when I see young people out on their Boston By Foot group rides.
Here’s how you can help:
- Donate now at our Bike-A-Thon page.
- OR, sign up at Bikes Not Bombs to ride with us on June 10th!
- Cheer us on during the ride or post an encouraging comment!