I started a tradition back in 1996 of making a list of the most memorable events of the year. My definition of memorable can include both the positive and the negative, but generally it’s the good things that make the list. That first list in 1996 had exactly twenty items, so I’ve made the list a top twenty every year since.
Here is my 23rd annual list.
- December 30 2017 – January 1, 2018 – New Year in Vermont
Technically, this partially occurred last year, but since I wrote last year’s list before it happened it didn’t make that list. Anyhow, we finished out 2017/began 2018 with family and friends in Vermont which involved snow tubing, Anomia, Cataan, and a lot of Kathleens.
2. March 1 – New couch
We got a new couch. It folds out into a bed. It’s really fancy. We’re not used to fancy furniture.
3. March-September – Fantasy baseball
My son really wanted to play fantasy baseball so we put together a laid-back league of adults and children and had fun playing all season. (my team finished third).
4. March 23 – NYBG Orchid Show
Flowers, flowers everywhere, even if it’s chilly outside.
5. March 23 – “Weird Al” concert
I saw “Weird Al” Yankovic in concert for the first time at the Apollo Theatre, of all places. Also dined with good friends at Sylvia’s Restaurant.
6. Apri1 1-30 – I watched a ton of documentary films for the Blogging A-to-Z Challenge
7. April 15-20 – Great Wolf Lodge and North Carolina
We had a lovely spring break at the Williamsburg water park and then visiting family in North Carolina.
8. April-July – Youth Baseball
Once again my children had an exciting baseball season, my daughter in teeball, and my son at kid-pitch Junior level. He even participated in the Mayor’s Cup Tournament!
9. June 10 – Bikes Not Bombs Bike-A-Thon
This fundraising ride is always a highlight.
10. June 17 – Father’s Day
As a whale of a dad, we celebrated the special day on the Stellwagen Bank on a whale watching journey. We even saw a baby whale, bro!
11. June 28 – July 1 – Wolfe’s Neck Campground
A lovely weekend camping on the Maine coast with the added bonus of a goat hike!
12. July 21 – Janelle Monáe
We saw 2018’s top artist perform live and it was amazing.
13. August 14-18 – SAA Annual Meeting
I attended the Society of American Archivists annual meeting and even presented at the Archive-It Partner Meeting. When not learning about Archives, I got to enjoy some time in Washington, DC, and in the evenings I went to a DC United game and a Nationals game.
14. August 28 – September 1 – Chicago
This was an important election year and I was pleased that Massachusetts candidates Ayanna Pressley, Rachael Rollins, Nika Elugardo, and Jon Santiago all won challenging primaries and eventually the general elections as well as the passage of Yes on 3 to protect equality for transgender people. Not every election went as I liked, but significant steps forwards were made.
16. October – The Red Sox win the World Series
It was another exciting Red Sox season, and we attended several Red Sox games. Oddly, they lost a number of them including an 8-0 loss to the Mets in September (who I secretly cheered for while my children elbowed). But the Red Sox won when it counted, including the ALCS Game on October 14 that I attended with my son, and eventually the World Series. We celebrated at the Red Sox Victory Parade on Halloween
17. October 31 – Halloween Trick or Treat
Recently on Halloween, I’ve stayed home to hand out candy, so I had the delight of joining my children – or should I say Bigfoot and a Ghost Chicken – as they collected loot in our neighborhood.
18. November 24 – Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island
I took my family on their first visit to these national monuments which included visiting Lady Liberty’s crown and finding the name of my great-grandmother on the Wall of Honor.
19. November 30 – December 2 – Birthday Celebration in New Hampshire
I turned 45 this year, but my kids – also November babies – had bigger parties. So we celebrated late by staying in a cabin in New Hampshire’s White Mountains. We enjoyed snow-shoeing and riding the Santaland Express.
20. Following up on last year, I had an ongoing activity that I can’t speak of online, but came to a joyous resolution this year.
- 2017 Year in Review: Memorable Events
- 2016 Year in Review: Memorable Events
- 2015 Year in Review: Memorable Events
- 2014 Year in Review: Memorable Events
- 2013 Year in Review: Memorable Events
- 2012 Year in Review: Memorable Events
- 2011 Year in Review: Memorable Events
- 2010 Year in Review: Memorable Events
- 2009 Year in Review: Memorable Events
- 2008 Year in Review: Memorable Events
- 2007 Year in Review: Memorable Events