Title: Best in Show
Release Date: September 29, 2000
Director: Christopher Guest
Production Company: Castle Rock Entertainment
We met at Starbucks. Not at the same Starbucks but we saw each other at different Starbucks across the street from each other.
Best in Show, for me, remains the best of the Christopher Guest comedies. The movie spoofs the competition at a prestigious dog show focusing on a selection of the eccentric dog owners and handlers. The cast includes several comic actors from Guest’s other films:
- Eugene Levy (who co-wrote the movie) and Catherine O’Hara play Gerry and Cookie Fleck, a sickly-sweet wholesome couple who sing songs about their terrier, Winky (Can Ch. Urchin’s Bryllo). Well, wholesome except when Cookie meets her old paramours.
- Scott Donlan (John Michael Higgins) and Stefan Vanderhoof (Michael McKean) are a gay couple with a Shih Tzu Miss Agnes (Can Ch. Rapture’s Classic), and the type of people who redecorate their hotel room for a 48-hour stay and make catty comments about their competitors.
- Meg (Parker Posey) and Hamilton Swan (Michael Hitchcock) are an uptight Yuppie couple who project their neuroses on their Weimaraner Beatrice (Can Ch. Arokat Echobar Take Me Dancing).
- Sherri Ann Cabot (Jennifer Coolidge) is the trophy wife of a wealthy old man who owns the two-time champion Standard Poodle Rhapsody in White (Can Ch. Exxel’s Dezi Duz It With Pizaz) handled by professional trainer Christy Cummings (Jane Lynch).
- Harlan Pepper (Christopher Guest) is a garrulous fishing-store owner from North Carolina who competes with his beloved Bloodhound Hubert (Ch. Quiet Creek’s Stand By Me).
- When the competition begins, the movie is dominated by the blatther of color commentator Buck Laughlin (a hilarious Fred Willard). His partner, dog expert Trevor Beckwith (Jim Piddock), represents every introvert who has ever been saddled with working with an extrovert who just won’t shut up.
In my mind this is the funniest of the Christopher Guest movies, so I award it the blue ribbon!
No, that’s a bear in a bee costume.