I love reading books and book reviews are the heart of Panorama of the Mountains. I’ve been keeping track of the books I read since I was a teenager and I’ve attempted to catalog every book I’ve ever read at LibraryThing.
One of my big reading projects is Around the World for a Good Book, where I’ve been attempting to read an original work of fiction from every nation in the world.
On this page I’ve provided links to posts about my favorite books as well as my running lists of books I’ve read this year. If there’s a book you’d like to discuss or think I should read, let me know in the comments!
Favorite Books by Year:
Books Read in 2020
The books are rated on a scale from 1 to 5 stars with links to summary reviews. (A) is for audiobook.
Here’s a thumbnail of what the ratings mean:
- 5 stars – all-time classic (I’m very stingy with these)
- 4 stars – a particularly interesting, well-written, or important book
- 3 stars – a good book from start to finish
- 2 stars – not a good book on the whole but has some good parts
- 1 star or less – basically a bad book with no redeeming values
- Confederates in the Attic by Tony Horwitz (A) – *****
- Thrawn by Timothy Zahn (A) – ****
- Entrepreneurs: The Boston Business Community, 1700-1850 ed. Conrad Edick Wright and Katheryn P. Viens – ***
- Black Radical: The Life and Times of William Monroe Trotter by Kerri Greenidge – ****
- Thrawn: Alliances by Timothy Zahn (A) – ***1/2
- Flights by Olga Tokarczuk (A) – ***
- The Golden Child by Claire Adam (A) – ***1/2
- Thrawn: Treason by Timothy Zahn (A) – ****
- The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R Tolkien – *****
- Jazz by Toni Morrison – *****
- Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (A) – ****
- The Boston Massacre: A Family History by Serena Zabin (A) –
- Ghosts in the Schoolyard by Eve Ewing –