Author: Bernie Sanders and John Nichols
Title: It’s OK to Be Angry About Capitalism
Narrator: Bernie Sanders
Publication Info: Crown (2023)
The latest book from America’s beloved socialist grandpa has a provocative title. So I was a little disappointed when a good chunk of the book was a memoir of Bernie Sanders’ 2020 presidential campaign, helping to get Joe Biden elected, and a frustrating two years where the Democratic party failed to take advantage of their congressional majority to advance a progressive agenda. Basically it’s a sequel to Our Revolution. Mind you, I have great memories of attending a Sanders’ presidential rally on Boston Common, which was the last big crowd I stood in before the pandemic started.
But the title implied that this was going to be more of an analysis of what is going wrong in our country/world and how to fix it. And it does get down to it eventually with a good synthesis on how the corporate and wealthy elites have created intense economic inequality. The solutions, of course, are the many proposals that he and others have been putting forward, many based on what has worked in other nations as well as in the United States past. It’s all very well-written, but also not anything particularly new to me, as I’m the choir to Bernie’s preacher. I’m not sure if their is an audience who is not aware of these solutions already who would be receptive to hearing it from Senator Sanders (because believe it or not, our beloved socialist grandpa is not loved by all). But if there is, this would be a good primer for them!
- Becoming a Citizen Activist: Stories, Strategies & Advice for Changing Our World by Nick Licata
- This Is an Uprising: How Nonviolent Revolt Is Shaping the Twenty-First Century by Mark Engler
- Listen, Liberal: Or, What Ever Happened to the Party of the People? by Thomas Frank
- Free Lunch: How the Wealthiest Americans Enrich Themselves at Government Expense (and Stick You with the Bill) by David Cay Johnston
- The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism by Naomi Klein